Lizzie Velásquez was born with a rare disorder. Although she was fortunate enough to be raised in a loving and supportive home, she has had to endure cruelty from others. When faced with these difficulties, she eventually decided to own her illness in a positive way instead of giving in to how strangers saw her.
Learn the key phrases!
Let’s check the main ideas!
- How many people have the same syndrome as Lizzie?
She knows of only two other people suffering from the same condition in the world.
- Are there any benefits she mentions?
Yes, she mentions never having to worry about what she eats. She makes some of the disadvantages sound like advantages.
- What did the doctors say when she was born?
They said she would never be able to walk, talk, crawl, think, or do anything herself.
I think that…
Share your thoughts!
- Do you know any people diagnosed with really rare illnesses?
- How much do you think her family has helped her in overcoming the struggles of her syndrome?
- How do you think she manages to stay so positive?
Record your audio reply (you may add some text to it). Include a question for others.
Advise a topic for discussion.