It seems that no matter how hard women try to be accepted by others, there will always be something that people will find to criticise. Billie Eilish mentions that if she wears what is comfortable, she is “not a woman”, while when she "sheds the layers” she is a “slut”. It seems that this dichotomy of expectations for women is impossible to fulfill.
Learn the key phrases!
Let’s check the main ideas!
- What do people use to shame Billie Eilish and other women?
Their appearance, what they wear, and how they look.
- What would happen to Billie Eilish’s life if she tried to live by others’ judgements?
She would never be able to move.
- What are the key assumptions that we make about people based on their size or their looks, according to the video?
We decide what they are worth and who they are as people, without actually knowing anything about them.
I think that…
Share your thoughts!
- Why does society put pressure on people to look a certain way?
- What effects does social media have on our body image?
- What can we do to help ourselves and others to feel happy about our bodies?
Record your audio reply (you may add some text to it). Include a question for others.
Advise a topic for discussion.