As reported by Ben Crump, the Breonna Taylor settlement is a ‘significant and landmark’ event. This video from ABC discusses the recent settlement of $12M USD for Breonna Taylor’s family, a young African-American woman who was wrongfully shot by police last March in Kentucky, USA.
Learn the key phrases!
to pay 12 million dollars
with a legally owned gun
the criminal case against the three officers
to live in certain low-income areas
between law enforcement and communities of color
Let’s check the main ideas!
- What happened to Breonna Taylor?
Breonna Taylor was wrongfully shot by police last March in Kentucky, USA.
- What happened after news spread of her tragic death?
Many protests and riots took place after she was killed.
- What disciplinary measures have the officers faced?
At the time of the video, more than 6 months after Breonna was killed, the officers were still under investigation, and had yet to be charged. However, one of the three officers was since fired and the other two are on administrative reassignment.
I think that…
Share your thoughts!
- Do you think the officers would have acted differently had they lived in the same community?
- What do you think about the protests and the riots?
- Have you done anything to help the black community?
Record your audio reply (you may add some text to it). Include a question for others.
Advise a topic for discussion.