Climate Change: The Trouble With Trees

:fire:

A video from the Economist talking about tree-planting, deforestation, and the criticisms of mono-cultures.

Audio_text_introduction_REPLACE

Learn the key phrases!

Audio_key_phrases_REPLACE

deforestation
to increase carbon-dioxide levels
a kind of panacea
to tackle climate change
to stabilise/stabilize the climate
to slow the rate of climate change
to avoid massive penalties
monoculture tree plantations
to apply fertilisers
to cut fossil-fuel emissions

translate Translate and remember the key phrases.

Let’s check the main ideas!

Audio_main_ideas_REPLACE

1. Why is tree planting not always good?

Tree planting may not tackle the problem of climate change if we speak about monoculture plantations.

1. What’s wrong with monoculture plantations?

When trees in monoculture plantations are harvested, they release much of the carbon stored in their trunks back to the atmosphere.

1. Why is there no financial incentives for natural forests?

It’s very difficult to get funding as it is driven by targets and the number game. Monoculture plantations are prefered as they make money.

1. Can humanity neglect cutting off fossil fuels emissions by planting trees?

To stabilise the climate, not only do we need to plant trees, but also to offset the carbon emission from fossil fuels as there is just no enough land to tackle climate change by planting trees.

I think that…

Share your thoughts!

1. Have you ever planted a tree? Describe your experience.
  2. Do you bother about deforestation? Why?
  3. Why is it important to tackle the problem of climate change right now?

audio-recording-icon-1 Record your audio reply (you may add some text to it). Include a question for others.
idea Advise a topic for discussion.

1 Like

By the way, in my country (Ukraine) there is an amazing example of self-healing of the environment, when a person does not interfere. Maybe you’ve heard something about Chernobyl? In the 80 - ies on the territory of Central Ukraine, then the Soviet Union, 2 nuclear reactors at a nuclear power plant exploded, the Fire was extinguished, people were evicted from the nearest cities, and the territory of several hundred kilometers was closed to people as radioactive dangerous. A few years ago, it was discovered that animals that were not even in the red book or the world Bank of endangered species were revived in those forests, and the populations of endangered species of animals and plants increased. Nature has restored itself better than in any reserve, and it looks like a miracle. It is very good that these lands are still closed.

3 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Wow…who would have expected that tree planting could have a negative impact on the environment?! This is good to know! And one should not forget about the fossil fuel emissions as a major problem. What do you think are the reasons why people deliberately burn forests?

1 Like

It’s sad when profit comes above all…

I think the secret is in moderation. Anything that’s forced is not gonna give good results eventually…fires are terrible, but ‘‘overplanting’’ the trees, the plants is not as bad, but can still have negative effect.

I am sure there are some studies by experts, otherwise how to know what is moderate?

1 Like

Hello! I’m interested in your view of overpopulation, a factor I had never considered. How could the population be reduced? Should the government set any limits on births?
I would like to know what you mean.
Thank you:)

2 Likes

:white_check_mark:

1 Like

Welcome Viktorya, nice to see u here :heart:

2 Likes

2 Likes

U are so right, our little means a lot , we should like individuals take care about earth, each of us

2 Likes

1 Like

Hello, i,m from Bulgaria and i remember the day of Chernobil. We had days off and we were out with my family. It was raining, but we enjoined to have a walk and searching for snails, we eat them. We were not informed what happened and had any concerns about damages. I was wet, my father also. We heard about this disaster a week after it happened, still not understanding for future problems occured. My father received some illness because this venomouse rain, later i had some problems too. But it is not the point. It is more important to have future plan for saving nature and to preserve the species. We have to learn how to be more responsible for environment and how to keep the progress we reached under control. People have to be part of nature and keep it as their own home, not to feel bigger and smarter than nature and destroy it. People have to be thankful and have to do good things every day…

4 Likes

Nevena, yes, clining the earth is the next very importent thing which people have to remember. I saw films about the island of garbige in the middle of would ocean. People have to change a lot in our activity. And i read that Enshtein wrote in his notebook, what he had expected in futer. People would colonised over planet and moved there, keeping Earth for animals, animals intelect would grou very much and would be like human. And this acthion would protect our Earth and keep it green and butifule. And i see there is some moben ideas about over planets - fantactic moves and ultra moden plans. For example, Ilon Maska project to colones over planets.

2 Likes

Here we look at Poland side and think you are more developed than our country, and expect good desicions in questions. And this is just illusion, even G Britain has a lot of problems.
Yes, no more the tragedy like that!

3 Likes

Thank you, Mariana, for your answer.

Yes,
the goverment sent thousands of volounteers to stop the processes taking place there. Many took big health problems afterwards, the first died soon. No one knew how it was dangerous.
And in our days, empty towns around Chernobil is a strong spectacle.

1 Like